Saturday, January 02, 2010

Our Christmas Break

This has been quite a week. I went from dreadfully sick to on my deathbed. I'm only half-joking...I'm recovering from the sinus infection of the century.

I made my "List" post on Monday, carted the kids and I to the chiropractor that afternoon, and by evening my head was pounding so much that I couldn't even cart us back home. Thankfully my mom was willing to try and nurse me back to health, but it was beyond anything I've ever experienced.

Mark (who had taken a half-day from work b/c he was sick) came over and got us, and took me to the dr. before we headed home. I added the dr.'s list of remedies to my extensive arsenal, and thought that surely I would be on the up-and-up shortly. Tuesday night, in the wee hours of the morning, I was ready to have Mark take me to ER, convinced that I must have a brain aneurysm or something...why else would the pain in my head be so bad that I had to resort to childbirth breathing patterns to make it through? (I'm no pansy, either...if anyone who has been through natural childbirth like I have says something hurts, I generally believe them based on their reference point). My cry of "Jesus, help me!" was answered, because the pain subsided enough that I was able to slowly relax and eventually fall asleep.

Bless my husband for staying home the next day until it was apparent that I could move and breathe and watch the kids supervise small children while they took care of themselves.

Needless to say, it's been an uphill battle, and my list is even more of a joke now than it was on Monday.

But...we have been feeling mostly better that past two days, so a few things have gotten done.
Note the list (with a few additions in bold as compared to Monday's list. I know I must not be the only person who adds items to a list simply to be able to cross them off...right)?!?

Things I Want to Get Done Over Christmas Break:
1. Clear desk (again!)
2. Catch up on blogging (July-Dec. I bother since it's our family's memory album).
3. Trim goat hooves All sixteen adult goat hooves done!
4. Gather milking supplies
5. Clean out Sunday School room
6. Paint Sunday School room w/ girls
7. Organize church library
8. Update sidebars on adoption blog
9. Adjust 2nd semester lesson plan schedule as needed.
10. Write, send, and mail Christmas letters
11. Fold at least four loads of laundry.
12. Take down Christmas tree. (As long as you count it sitting naked in the corner...actually getting the tree out of the house is on Mark's list, not mine).
13. Put away Christmas decorations. (Ahem...almost. Carting them down to the basement is, you know, on someone else's list. Someone else who, if he actually made a list, would have a ton of things crossed off for today and yesterday. He's amazing, that man of mine).
14. Trim Butter's udder. (Don't laugh. No, this was not on the list of things I thought I would do someday. Yes, we really do have to give her a haircut around her udder to keep milking clean. No, I didn't use the same clippers I use for the rest of the family. Yes, Mark totally wishes that he had taken the camera out to the barn).

So there you have it. Our Christmas break. I will desperately try to get blogging after church tomorrow, because I have some super-exciting news to share with you on our adoption blog!!!

4 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i'm so sorry you've been sick!! sinus infections can be horrible! andy just gets mild ones and even with those he feels miserable. and taking care of kids is SO difficult when you are sick - i am really glad mark could stay home and help. glad you are starting to feel better! God is good :)

and with your new number 14, your list is officially the most awesome list i've ever seen. i'm just over here shaking my head :)

Eric and April said...

Hopefully you're feeling better now... and can get to that "super-exciting news" you've been keeping us in suspense for...

Jennifer said...

Only you can start me off totally and completely concerned and empathetic, and then leaving me laughing at the end!

So glad you made it uphill- that sounds pretty horrible to me! I hope all of you are feeling better!

Love your list and descriptions!

inadvertent farmer said...

ROFL...rates up there with shaving my camel's neck! Kim