Saturday, June 21, 2008

Andrew's First T-Ball!

Weird how something so American and commonplace as summer t-ball can make you feel positively old. Someone (who at the time was expecting her 6th child) wisely told me that I shouldn't fret about the kids "growing up" out of the baby stage...because every "first" they experienced as they got older would be just as thrilling as those first steps, words, and other things we traditionally view as milestones of our kids growing up. She was so right!

Andrew was very excited, yet a bit nervous, about starting t-ball. Some of the nervousness was soothed with the realization that our neighbor friends across the street were playing, as was Jonah from MP.

I'm very impressed with his teams' coaches (a married couple whose daughter is on the team). They have a very gentle and encouraging spirit with the kids...none of the hollering and criticism that I can't believe I hear from the sidelines (from just one parent), but I do.

These pics are from his very first practice. He's a good hitter, and this one is from his first time on base...I think he surprised himself at how well he hit!

















Some shots of his fielding, which is improving game by game! Mark was quickly recruited as a base coach, which Andrew loves (and I, too, feel better about him being "way out there on the field without a clue what he's doing" when Mark is out there. Are these thoughts I shouldn't be verbalizing? Maybe).

After the first practice, they tried recruiting Mark to actually coach a third team (there's about 16 kids on each of the two teams, and more were on a waiting list)....this is what happens when you are a parent base coach who knows what they're doing!
Mark felt badly about it, but had to refuse at this point...he already has enough on his plate to satisfy two people (at least) as it is!




Andrew was so proud of himself coming off the field after practice! They actually only had this one "practice," and they just have games Tues/Thurs. nights. No one keeps score, they bat as many times as necessary, everyone gets to hit, and there's a position for everyone out in the field...gotta love it!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Myopic Zeal said...

As a former T-ball coach, I have the following bit of advice if he really wants to win (which, as you know, is the ultimate goal of T-ball).

As soon as Andrew hits the ball, have him look up in the air and point to the sky briefly, and yell "Airplane!" All the other kids will look up for a while while he can safely run to first!