Anyway, since her front teeth are starting to show the signs of it, we decided that it was time for her to stop sucking her thumb. She happens to not agree with us. The first nap of "no more thumb sucking," I put band-aids on both of her thumbs (she's ambidextrous when it comes to thumb-sucking), and she screamed for two hours, fell asleep in a exhausted heap for 1/2 an hour, then woke up slightly refreshed to commence screaming again. Bedtime was not much better, except for the fact that she was too tired to wake again after another two hours of screaming about the band-aids. Or so I thought. On inspection in the morning, the truth came out: she had simply finally gotten the band-aids off.
At nap-time the next day, we tried double-bandaging the thumbs. No luck...she still got them off. So, for bedtime, I tried a new trick. Rather than just put band-aids on her thumbs, I decided to put a band-aid on every single finger, so that she wouldn't have any fingers available with which to pick them off! Brilliant, right? Er, no. The smiles were short-lived, and she managed to get all of them off in record time.
We put the thumb-sucking cessation program on hold for a few weeks while we were anticipating the onset of chicken pox. (They had been exposed to shingles, so I was hopeful that they would catch them. But, after three weeks of "quarantine," they came clear without pock among them-better luck next time).
But, now we need to get back at it. They do make plastic thumb guards, to the tune of $75, but we would need two of them. And, a major part of ther thumb sucking is done at meal-time, so that guards wouldn't work then, anyway. She likes vinegar. I can't yet bring myself to put hot-sauce on her thumbs. The next best option I can think of is to try putting duct tape on her thumbs instead.
In the meantime, if anyone has any tricks that have worked for them, we're all ears!

2 comments:
If your not ready for hot sauce, how about some vanilla. One of my daughters likes hot sauce and vanilla but thankfully the vinager worked for her. I can't imagine that she really liked the vanilla - I think it was more of a "your not gonna win that easily mom". for Leigha to stop sucking her thumb she just needed to get a really bad cold. Hope you find something that works.
~Becca~
I thought it was funny today while I was watching them...I got out the band-aid box for one for my finger, and she climbed up in my lap, and automatically put her fingers out, started jabbering at me, and gave me a very confused look when I put one on my finger and closed the box...so maybe she has gotten too used to it! :)
Post a Comment