
Last Friday, we were privileged to join a field trip hosted by our local Christian homeschool association.
We visited Anchorage's largest fire station, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Jacob, not being a school-ager, could only go if another adult accompanied him (besides myself), so Rebecca graciously agreed to go along, and I had Anna in the front-pack.
I'm not sure what fascinated the boys most! They said they liked seeing the trucks the best, but the sliding pole must have been high on the list, too. It was so funny to see their faces the first time one of the firemen came sliding down the pole to answer the door...surprised that they actually used it!

Andrew was always right at the front of the group, hanging on every word! I was amazed later at how much information he had picked up!
They first showed us through the "Big House," their kitchen and living quarters, and then showed a fire safety film in the theater room. Then we headed out to the garage to see the trucks! They wanted to climb in the trucks, but I think they weren't allowed simply because it is the largest, busiest station in the city, and wouldn't want a bunch of kids on a truck that was needed! In fact, they even had to switch tour guides because the one we had initially was called out on one of the rescue trucks.

Did you know: With two hoses spraying at full capacity, it takes only 3 minutes to empty the engine of 850 gallons of water?!
Jacob really liked the trucks, too...though he was one tired boy! (We had to leave the house at 8 a.m. to make it...though I think we all agreed that it was worth it)! After getting a tour of the trucks, one of the firemen suited up, explaining as he went what each piece of gear was for. Then he even got down and crawled toward each of the kids, announcing that "This is the fire department...is there anyone here?" so that they would know what he would look and sound like if they were actually being rescued from a fire.All in all, it was an excellent field trip, and I think the boys, particularly Andrew, got a lot out of it. We've checked out all the books from the library on fire safety, too, and have been having fire drills, testing the smoke detector so they know what to do when it goes off, etc! And an added bonus: They were given fire hats, which have been in constant use since then!

3 comments:
It looks like it was a total blast! Wish I could have joined. Maybe next time. Remember when I took the Rochester Fire Dept's exam? I am really fascinated with Fire Stations and all that goes on with them.(I passed by the way- just not close enough to the top to be needed.)
thank you for blogging, Wendy! Great to see the fam while we're in NY. Via Kristen's "card" I hope to show Grandma your blog today!
The pictures turned out great! Thanks for having me come along - it was a blast! I'm looking to many more field trips...good practice for us teachers, ya know. ;)
Post a Comment