Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Heartbreaking Confusion

Lately, Andrew has been interested in talking about "when I get bigger," figuring out how last names work when someone gets married, how his grandparents, aunts, & uncles are really related, etc.

So it didn't surprise me when he asked yesterday if Anna would be a mommy when she got bigger. I told him that yes, if that's what God wanted, she probably would get married and have her own children. But then he thought there would be two mommies at our house...me and Anna. I clarified by saying that no, Anna would get married and move somewhere else with her husband and children.

The next thing I know, Andrew is absolutely sobbing...tears coursing down his cheeks, unable to speak clearly through his sobs.
"But I don't want Anna to move away. I want to still see her!"

I quickly tried to console him not to worry, it won't be until all three of them are bigger, and that he would move away, too, so it wouldn't be like he was just missing Anna. Big mistake...he cried harder, sobbing into my shoulder.
"But I don't want to move away, either! I want us to all still be here!"

He calmed down when I said that no one had to leave...they could all just stay here when they got bigger! He was okay with that...and when he's sixteen, I'll be sure to show him this post! :) But I still can't tell this story without crying myself, remembering his anguish that he would "lose" the baby sister he had just gotten after waiting so long!

No comments: