Sunday, November 25, 2007

Prayers Needed...

UPDATE: Henry had some tests and an MRI done this week. The good news is that he's able to swallow and take a bottle. The tragic news is that it appears he is blind, and he has damage to all four quadrants of his brain.

I'm being forced to explore the whole theme of forgiveness, as I try to, for very brief moments only, put myself in this family's position. If someone were to do to Anna what the day"care" provider did to Henry, how would I cope? Would I be able to say "Blessed be the name of the Lord" in this situation, when the trail is marked with suffering? Would I persist in rage at the complete unfairness of it all, the tragedy of my precious baby's life being hijacked? Or would I dissolve into bottomless sorrow...or something in-between?

I do know that God has promised that His grace is sufficient for all things, and that by putting myself in their shoes, I indeed do not have the grace to handle their situation, because I'm not really in it. I only have enough grace to handle the things that I have to handle today...which blessedly are trivial compared to the trials Henry's family is enduring. I am tired, but not from a bedside vigil. We are stressed, but my children have eyes that see. The proverbial financial belt is tight, but we do not have hospital bills looming. My children may drive me crazy some days, but they are healthy, smart, funny, charming, exploring, discovering, developing bundles of life and joy. And I weep for Henry's family, who have these blessings that I enjoy and take for granted, stripped away in one senseless moment. I cry a prayer of joy and gratitude when Anna "Joy"fully greets me in the morning.

Yet God's love and forgiveness encompass this woman who abused Henry. I cannot fathom it, but He wouldn't be a God worth His salt if He couldn't. That's one of the million and one reasons why God is God and I'm not...for now, I will simply seek His face and challenge myself to be like Him, even in the face of tragedy.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Through a connection Mark has with the ministers in Seward, we have learned of a family in SD who desperately needs prayer for their 6 mos. old baby, Henry.

A few weeks ago we was abused by his daycare provider...I'm not clear on whether he is still in a coma or not, but the dr's prognosis is permanent brain damage and possible blindness. (The daycare provider shook him and slammed him against the floor when he wouldn't stop crying...he also has a broken wrist).

Our heart is just breaking for this family, and we're trusting with them in our God who is the Great Physician!

If you want to keep up-to-date with prayer needs, they have a blog going, at http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewHome.do You will need to register to view the site, but it's quick and easy to do.
Thanks for praying with us for this little one!

No comments: