Turkey 1 and Turkey 2 (or turkeys #4 and #5, depending on the day and how my children have been behaving)...we inherited them, and they'll just hang out until we have butchering day. They are particularly fond of watermelon rind, and so have become quite spiritual in looking forward to Sundays when we have a potluck at our house...and invariably at least one watermelon gets brought to the festivities. They would become more spiritual yet, I'm sure, if they realized buthchering day is just around the corner...
Our new rooster! He's quite full of himself, and has fit in nicely. His cock-a-doodle-doo-er is a little rough, but it works. Thankfully, he's more of the mid-morning type. Once I have a pen free, I'll try to get one of our hens to go broody to hatch out a new laying flock.
And then our Cornish Rock cross chicks...which our now much larger and not nearly as cute. We intended to raise a batch of just 25, but our 4H leader ended up with more than she wanted, so out of sympathy we took another 25. We may raise another batch later this summer...my goal is to have at least one chicken per week in the freezer this year.
This girl may or may not be pregnant. We bred Sophie to a beautiful, 200 lb. Newfoundland/Pyrenees mix over Memorial Day weekend. At first I was pretty sure she was bred successfully...now we'll just wait and see. If she is, then we have a due date of Aug. 1st for puppies!
Jessie is growing like a weed, too. Last week we cleaned out the goat stall (and when I say "we," I mean "Mark"), and with the absence of so much bedding in the stall next door, she managed to dig her way out...thanks, Kelly, for capturing her before Sophie did!
Last summer I said that we were focusing on the animal-end of the farm, and that next year I would work on the gardening end. Well, I'm going to have to say the same thing again this year. I'm still battling my elbow injury from the accident in December, so any repetitive motion (like digging...and shoveling out goat stalls) is too much. I did buy several plants that were dying a slow and painful death in my basement, and I'm so grateful that the ladies on our latest work team actually got them in the ground! But more on that later...
2 comments:
i heard sophie was giving out piggy back rides. hope the rides were productive.
are you into selling any of your fowl? dead not alive of course. and your new rooster is beautiful. i might use your animals and children to play with my camera soon.
Post a Comment