Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sweet and Sobering

Do you ever have those moments when you just about burst with pride over one of your children? I had one of those with Andrew at the hospital, but it was also coupled with a bit of melancholy sadness that at age 7, he carries so much on his little shoulders.

As Andrew and I were laying on beds next to each other in the hospital room yesterday, I really wanted to get a feel for how he was handling all of the stress. He had been asked a zillion and one times and ways how he was feeling physically. But I felt the need to know how he was doing emotionally. And he was laying there so quiet and serious-looking.

So I simply asked him, "Andrew, is there anything you're worried about?"

Yes, there was.

"Well, mom, how are we going to get a new van?"
"That's why we have insurance, buddy. Mommy and Daddy send the insurance company money every month. If we don't ever need anything, they get rich from it. But if we do need it, the money is there to help us get a new van or whatever we need from an accident."
"Ohhhh. That's good. I was worried that we were going to have to use our money from Karis to get a new van."
"No...we're still going to get Karis. The insurance will take care of a new van for us, don't you worry."
"Okay. I just thought we were going to need to have like 300 more rummage sales to be able to go get her."


Can you believe his sweet little heart? For those of you who may not know, we've named the baby girl we're in the process of adopting "Karis," and the boys have been faithfully praying for all of our funds to come together for the rest of the adoption so we can bring her home from Ethiopia.

Sometimes I worry that he's too mature for his age when it comes to stuff like this, but at the same time I'm grateful that he's already understanding that it's not all about him...Lord, bless my little boy, keep his heart tender towards the things of Your Kingdom, and help him to cast all of his cares upon You...

3 comments:

Gram M said...

Through more tears, I say a hearty "Amen" God has something very special He is preparing Andrew for.

MaddMedic said...

Somebody(Wendy and Mark) is doing a heck of a job raising their children!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet and sad. I am glad you figured out what was wrong. Sometimes kids just don't tell you unless you ask. I have learned with my kids that even when they seem absent minded they are thinking all the time about lots of pretty important stuff.