Butterscotch was due on Christmas Day, and she delivered on the 26th! She is a most cooperative goat...waiting till after the holiday, on a Saturday while Mark was home, going into labor late morning, and delivering mid-afternoon while Anna was napping. It doesn't get much more convenient than that!
Here are her three darling daughters...in the order in which they were born!

The boys were both very helpful during the delivery. After the first one was born, Andrew kept rubbing her to get her warm and dry while I helped Butter deliver the 2nd one...for which Jacob kept feeding out the paper towels for me. After a while we thought we were just waiting for the afterbirth to deliver, so the boys went off to play, and then Butter presented the third one! The boys were happy to come back and hold the first two while we got the newest one cleaned up, and then of course to hold the youngest, too!

All in all, it was only about a 3 hour ordeal from start to clean up (of course, we're not Butterscotch, I know)!
I went back out tonight to check on how everyone was doing, and this was the scene:
All the babies were curled up in the straw sleeping, and Butter was in the other stall eating. As soon as she heard me come in, she peeked around the corner to check on the situation. She has been such a good momma so far. I couldn't resist picking up the lone white one to put her in the adorable sleeping pile with her two sisters, which woke them all up and then they were all hungry! Butter was probably thinking "Thanks, lady. I finally got those babies to sleep, and now they're up and hungry again." Butter had done so well in getting them all cleaned up and letting them nurse already. But I felt better having seen them all nurse again.

All three of them are marked so differently! In this last grouping, the bottom left picture, you can see how strikingly similar the youngest (far right of the 3 kids) is to Butterscotch, with the same spots and all. We think they are all just adorable! The oldest looks most like sire Stinky Pete. (I just went to link to a post about him, and in doing so I realized I have never posted a picture of him, just have posted our shenanigans in moving the stinky boy away from the rest of us. I'll try to rectify that shortly).
But, we're having trouble with coming up with names! I greatly admire cleverness. I want clever names for these kids. But in the past week, we've been through a horrible accident, medical ordeals pertaining to said accident, Christmas craziness, and of course all 5 of us managed to be sick for Christmas, from which we haven't yet recovered.
All that to say this: Cleverness is in short supply these days.
That's where you come in! I don't know if I should tell you our ideas or not, and just wait to see what you come up with? No, then it might seem like we're trying to get out of sending you your prize if you come up with the same thing! (No, I don't know what the prize is yet. Like I said, we're short on cleverness around here right now. If nothing else, you could have your choice etched permanently into the history books of our farm-I know, I know-try to contain your excitement).
We had thought of making the kids' names a play on Butterscotch. Like Buttercup. I think it's cute, but it does have it drawbacks, primarily being that Butterscotch is always just shortened to Butter. I'm sure the same thing would happen to Buttercup. Then we would have two Butters, and how confusing would that be?
So our ideas:
1st kid: Buttercup
2nd kid: Reese's (a play on Peanut Butter...my sister Tricia gets credit for that one)!
3rd kid: Butter rum (get it? Butter Scotch...Butter Rum? Also has its drawbacks...might be expected to name one of them Vodka or something, and we're really not drinking people...)
So, please...put your cleverness to work and leave us a comment with your ideas!
And last but not least...Anna meeting the kids!

12 comments:
They are soooo stinkin' cute!!
I DO already have a favorite in that calico! Beautiful markings. Ok so i've looked them over and have some other names suggestions.
Besides Butter's clone being Reeces, the white one "FlufferNutter"- Fluffer or Fluffy for short and my calico beauty "Nougat" or "Nutella" for her darker qualities... :)can't wait to see them!!!
LOVE that the boys were there to help! what a great experience for them.
hmmm...i like all t's name suggestions :) or how about some other sundae topping names to go with butterscotch...
chocolate
fudgie
cherry
peanut
sprinkles
i don't know :) when i was growing up, i had a rabbit named jellybean and a goat named candy! i don't know why the food names for animals, but it's totally cute :)
Oh, how exciting! Three healthy little girls. It does not get any better then that. That's what I love about Nigerians.
They are so adorable; and I think it's neat there are 3 children to hold the 3 kids. I expect there will be that kind of photo coming at some point. (You know I'll want you to send me one?!)
Thanks for sharing these cute photos so promptly.
Love you,
Mom
of course,there is always Margarine, Parkay... Craig wants to know how many kids is Wendy having, anyway??
I am SO mad that she waited til I was gone to have them...knew that was gonna happen :) They are adorable!! Can't wait to get home and see them!
You could go with...
1. Antoinette
2. Kai'Maiya
3. Clinton
I would call them
Josie
Zoey and
Lissy
Will you get milk from these goats as well as the others?
Laura's first thought - butter brickle (calling her brickle for short)
Bill's suggestions: Oleo (as in oleomargarine) and Promise
Oh so sweet!! They are truly adorable!!! Yeah, my clever-gene has gone into hibernation (I think it's always there, so that's not saying much) too, so I don't know how much help I would be. However, if they were my kids, they'd all get Christmas names: Noelle, Holly, Claus, Rudolph, Mistletoe, etc. That type of thing. Can't wait to hear what you all decide!
has anyone mentioned Snowflake for the little white one?
Post a Comment