Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Her life in a cast...day 2

Anna's been alternating between a poor little waif and one tough cookie. Part of the trouble we're having is that her alternating course of ibuprofen or tyelenol with codeine is making her sick to her stomach. So she doesn't want to eat, and giving her more pain medication on an empty stomach will just make her even sicker, and she fights me tooth and nail to get meds down her anyway...I'm sure b/c she knows she won't feel good in short order. So then her arm really starts paining her, and we're in a nasty vicious cycle.

I just give her the tylenol w/ codeine at bedtime so she can sleep. Poor baby can't stand herself up in her crib with just one arm, so she almost panics when she wakes up. And last night she started crying at 3:30 a.m....she had actually rolled herself onto her stomach in her sleep and was stuck. How sad is that?

Anyway, she was up at 6:45 and hungry, but would only eat 1/2 a piece of toast and a few bites of applesauce because her tummy hurt. The tylenol only lasts 8 hrs (she had it last at 7:30 last night), so I knew she would be hurting sooner than later. By 9:30 she was whiney, saying both her owie and her tummy hurt.

Add needing to ice her arm 4 times a day for 20 min, and we've got an ordeal on our hands.

Solution: A movie with ice pack on and a smoothie laced with ibuprofen.
Doable!


































I could tell when the ibuprofen started working...she perked right up and was ready to read and play.
Add a change of clothes for the first time since Monday night, and she was good to go! One tough cookie on our hands!
















Unfortunately she only slept about 1 1/2 hours for her nap, and is currently back to poor little waif...
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've been wanting to call to see how she's doing - cute pictures!! I need to get those other pictures from you from the hospital. Give her a big hug and kiss for me! Mike and I will probably stop by at some point while he's here this weekend :)

Darlene said...

So cute! Did I ever tell you that I fell and broke my arm when I was one?? Had a cast for 6 weeks and it seemed to level the playing field a little with Chris. Personally, I believe I would have been left handed (Like mom, grandpa, cousin Brian and little Katie) if it weren't for the L arm break... You get extra points for taking her to the ER. My mom (the nurse mind you...) didn't take me for several hours.... because "we had company...." It was, of course, my first birthday party and there was cake to be eaten!!
I liked the spiked smoothie - I could use one of those myself every now and then! Hugs to Anna!
DAR

Busy1 said...

She sure is a cute little waif though!! Oh, how I can see our dear Melayna doing something like this. She doesn't have any fear and is always trying to climb too high or walk out on ledges (see our latest blog entry). God certainly stays busy looking out for our kiddos, doesn't he?

Jennifer said...

I've been thinking of you guys. I'm sorry to hear it's so rough. It sounds like you've found a great solution though. Here's hoping the spiked smoothies keep working! :-)