Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Letters & Drawings


Every day, (well, almost every day), I write a letter to the boys on this big chart paper. Each day I can focus on a different skill for reading, writing, even math or science/social studies. At the beginning of the year, I did more rebus pictures, such as the sun over the word "morning," which I still use. On "Mammoth Mondays," I leave uncapitalized words that should be capitalized, and toss in some capitals in the middle of words, etc. They've learned the formal editing marks to fix it up! On Tangled Tuesdays, I draw a picture to go with a spelling word, write the word "tangled up," and leave blanks for Andrew to write correctly, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, it's a favorite school activity of both mine and theirs, so they were disappointed when I didn't write a letter on Tuesday, but they were then excited when I said that they could write the letter to Grandma to help her feel better! It just made me smile to see Andrew add the sun over "morning" just like I do! I helped Jacob write the date, and that was all he wanted to do with writing...he was intent on drawing a picture of Grandma!

So, the little green figure on the right is Jacob's drawing! It's amazing to me to watch him draw, because it was just weeks ago that he still wouldn't attempt a drawing of a person without help. Now he's drawing people all over the place! Notice that there are eyes, nose, mouth, even ears and a bit of hair on top!

Then he drew the body, arms, legs, and feet...then the "scribble" over the rest are the pants and "fweatshirt!" Voila! Mom, now you know that you have the honor of being that little green figure on your letter! :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: