So how did Christ rising from the dead get connected with a pagan goddess? There was a pagan spring festival celebrating Astare and fertility, replete with the age-old symbols of fertility: rabbits and eggs (haven't you been wondering all along how in the world they came up with a bunny hiding eggs? That's how)! Christian missionaries, not wanting to draw too wide of a line in the sand, just overlaid that pagan festival with Christian meaning, in an attempt to gently "woo the sinners from their pagan ways." Or to coat their sin with sugar. Hmm...maybe that's where jelly beans came from! (There is obviously more to it than that. I'm really probably up too late and am too tired to attempt to handle this post well. I guess I'll just suggest that you google "origin of Easter traditions" or something similar, and that will get you started).
So now, there are those that say that to even use the word "Easter" is akin to having the devil in for coffee-why give honor to a false god when it's all about Jesus? And how do we think God can stomach us essentially participating in false religion? In the other camp are those that say, "What difference does it make? When I say the word Easter, in my heart I'm celebrating Jesus rising from the dead." And there are numerous camps in-between. Like "go ahead and participate in the usual traditions but teach what the meaning really is." Or "If anyone says Happy Easter to you, just say He is Risen in response, and do whatever you want with the rest."
We haven't yet determined in which camp we're hanging out. Obviously, the kids colored eggs. And I told them that just like chicks hatch from eggs and are a brand-new life, when we accept Jesus in our hearts, we have a brand-new life, too. Sounded better than "let's color eggs to remember the sexuality of the pagan goddess Astare." But I may be off-base for lying. :}
I would love for you to share your thoughts on this one! In the meantime, enjoy the pics of our kids celebrating Resurrection Sunday!

I was impressed with how patient the boys were with the whole process!
Anna was thrilled that she got to get in on the good stuff this time!
Opening their baskets from Miss Dianne! Dianne, the kids are still enjoying their goodies, esp. the books! Thank you so much for making the day special-you are such a blessing to us!
The only place to prop the camera on timer had us facing directly into the sun! More pics coming of Anna and her hairbow!

1 comment:
The "let's color eggs to remember the sexuality of the pagan goddess Astare" has me laughing out loud!
I'm all about consistency- just the logical part of my brain I guess. Since there is no way we'll get the rest of the Christian world to lose the word Easter, seems to me that trying to eliminate the word from our vocab would be a losing battle that sucks energy from more important things.
Although I don't disagree with "those," I guess I'm with the "other camp" and the in-betweeners. God knows what is in my heart. He knows I'm certainly not participating in pagan rituals intentionally or otherwise.
Just my off-the-cuff, poorly thought out and communicated, two cents.
Post a Comment