...another Saturday, another battle lost against gluten/dairy/egg-free pancakes.
I will persevere, and we will, someday, enjoy pancakes. Pancakes that won't be remarkably paper-thin and crispy on both sides, yet still gooey in the middle, despite sitting on the griddle for three hours. You think I'm joking, or even exaggerating, and I'm not. One of these past Saturdays Mark and I failed to communicate who was finishing up the batch of pancakes, and those puppies sat there for 3 hours. Griddle on. Still uncooked in the center. And when you're already paper-thin, how do you have a center in the first place? Tried a *new* recipe today, with a variation on the egg substitute, and same story. I'm baffled.
The bright spot on the horizon is that my friend Wendy has been maneuvering food allergies with her son for the past 2 years or so. And the boy has real, full-blown, carry-around-an-epipen allergies. Over the course of the past few years, Wendy has compiled quite a collection of allergy-free cookbooks which she let me browse this week, to get an idea of which ones would work for us. I'm grateful for that, since there was more than one that, from the title and description, I would have ordered...and then been woefully frustrated with it.
But out of the batch, there was one cookbook that I thought would be perfect, and it is one that Wendy has used a lot, which means she's made lots of notes of variations and results. And one of the first recipes in the book? Pancakes. Wendy's note on the page? "Finally-real pancakes!"
Now if only I had made a copy of that page before returning her book to her...excuse me, I'm off to amazon to make an order.
No comments:
Post a Comment