Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hugs

Jacob is known for both wanting and giving "big hugs." But he doesn't just give them out to anyone, and sometimes they're just "out of stock."

One night he informed me that I could only have a kiss...he was all out of hugs.
Me: Where do you get hugs?
J: From the big hug store.
Me: Can you get some from the big hug store right now?
J: No, the big hug store is in Pennsylvania.

Friends at church will ask him for a hug, I think just because they find this too entertaining. One day after church, he was giving me the "hug rundown."
"...and I gave a big hug to Jordan and to Miss Mel, of course to Mrs. Leaders, to Neveah..."
The "of course" in there just cracked me up! For those who don't get big hugs, for whatever reason, they receive the consolation prize of a high five.

Well lately he's been packaging a high five, a kiss, and a big hug together for me (the privilege that comes from being mom, I guess)! But tonight at bedtime, I was informed that he had a high five and a kiss, but that he was all out of big hugs. I said told him that I was glad that I could have the high five and a kiss, but I sure was sad to not get a big hug.

Me: Do you think you can find just one hug for me?
J: I think one will come back while I'm sleeping.
Me: Oh, well I was hoping to have a bedtime hug.
J (looking back over his shoulder): Hug, you come back here. I found one mommy! But it's only a small one.
Me (as he's hugging me): Thanks for the hug...and it's a pretty big hug for being only a small one.
J: I didn't know it, but it is a big hug.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awww... that actually brings tears to my eyes. You are one incredibly blessed woman to have such fantastic kids. I only hope one day I'll be privy to conversations like these.

T said...

he is so incredibly imaginative with a hispeed wit. you should help get some other packages together on an index card so he can carry around his inventory at a glance. haha.
I love Jacob stories. They brighten up my sub par days.

Rebecca said...

I am looking forward to some big hugs this weekend! Hopefully he'll have some in stock when I'm there :)