Friday, March 16, 2007

Water disaster





Well, this is our disaster from Thursday. I was over at church with the rest of the music team, and came home for something. I was greeted by the sound of rushing water, (very similar to the sound I heard when the pipes to our hot water heater broke the last time Mark was away on a business trip), but didn't find the source of the sound till I got to the front of the house! A joint in a pipe in our living room had broken, and it was spraying hot water all over our entire living room. By the time I found it, the carpet directly under the break was under at least an inch of water already. The bookshelf and its contents, Andrew's desk and all of his school materials and educational games, a wall clock that was a wedding gift, and many of our picture frames were soaked...I have yet to determine the amt. of permanent damage.
The good thing about the whole situation was that at least the music team was next door and could come help rescue us! I was fighting tears, seeing all the precious pictures that were ruined, etc., desperately reminding myself that it was all just stuff. I was trying not to cry over a picture Andrew had drawn almost a year ago of an airplane, with so much detail! I had planned on framing it, but it was still in the pad of paper to keep it safe and unwrinkled, and there was another picture done in marker behind it that bled through...nevermind the fact that it was on newsprint and completely saturated! But Andrew was so brave for me; "Don't worry, mommy. I'll draw you another one." He's so like his father, steady and reassuring! He didn't complain a bit about all of the coloring books and school books we had to throw away, "That's okay, mommy...that happens sometimes." So grown-up about the whole thing!
Our church family is incredible...the music team had the bookshelves cleared and everything set out to dry in no time at all, the plumber of the church came and got the pipe fixed within the hour, and they slurped up the water with the carpet shampooer and set out heaters to start the drying out process. (And Jacob slept through the whole thing)! So much grace given in that moment...I am so grateful!
Our plan for the weekend was to go the my parents overnight Friday to help speed the time till Mark gets home. But in looking at the state of our house...kitchen overrun by drying books, entire living room carpet wet, and nothing that could be done till it dries out...we decided to head over a day early!
The plan is for me to head home early on Saturday to start setting things to rights, and my sister Tricia and her husband Jerry have graciously offered to bring the boys home Saturday evening, to give me the day without interruptions and "help." Thanks, Trish and Jerry and mom and dad! Prayers for a tired pregnant woman's stamina, please! :)
UPDATE: By the time the boys got home Saturday, I had most everything put away! I just had left to shampoo the carpet, as it stained horribly. I'm exhausted, but all in all we're in good shape. Praise the Lord, we had relatively few things that were destroyed!

No comments: