I can't believe I haven't posted on this yet! Andrew has been so anxious to begin reading...frequently commenting on how he wanted to know what words were saying! So a few weeks ago we finished up with all of his letter sounds, and then he learned to read all of the -at words. He was THRILLED!!! When I'm reading aloud to him, I stop and let him read when we get to any of the words he knows, and he's so proud. (Let's just say we've been reading an awful lot of Dr. Seuss lately)! He can even spell the -at words...I think it's so amazing that he can visualize the words in his head to pull them out like that!
This week we're working on the -an words, and he does especially well when I give him the letter cards to manipulate and change the sounds with (he's very hands-on). It was great fun for me today to see him able to make the letter changes, ie: mat to man to ran to rat. I'm so proud of him!
(I can now answer "yes" to my own question of whether it was worth hanging on to some of the classroom materials I had made back when I started teaching 1st grade in PA and then used when I taught up here...I made those letter cards NINE years ago. Wow...that made me feel old. I'd better stop now)!

No comments:
Post a Comment