Saturday, June 06, 2009

Downward spiral

Have you heard the jokes about how your parenting changes with each successive child? They're not only funny, they're actually pretty truthful a lot of the time. There are many of them, but I'll just give you two here to get you started.

Pregnancy with child #1: you go splurge on a whole wardrobe of maternity clothes the moment you have a confirmed pregnancy.
Pregnancy with child #2, you just "got your body back," so you wear regular clothes as long as possible before you have to start wearing maternity clothes.
Pregnancy with child #3, your maternity clothes are your regular clothes.

Child #1: If pacifier gets dropped on the ground, you re-sanitize it by boiling it in distilled water.
Child #2: Dropped pacifier gets rinsed in water before getting returned to baby.
Child #3: Mom pops the pacifier in her own mouth to wash it off before returning it to baby.

There are tons more of these scenarios, but tonight, I created one of my own.

Child #1: You spend weeks planning out their birthday cakes, and have everything on hand to create a darling cake just right for your toddler. It takes a great deal of time to remix frosting to get to the perfect color shades you were attempting, but you know it's worth it.
Child #2: You remember a few days before their birthday to get a cake mix and frosting tubs to tint...and if no creative idea strikes you, you just use the same cake design you used for child #1.
Child #3: What a shame...too many drops of food coloring, and the cake looks like it's been frosted with Pepto Bismol. Hmm...some white trim here would balance it out. I could mix up more frosting and dig out the decorator tips, or, let's see...I have a decorater can of blue leftover from a friend's baby shower. That'll do.

I'll post pics tomorrow of Anna with her cake...it's a doozy. Sorry sweetie, you're number 3. I promise it doesn't mean I love you any less.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I thought her cake was cute! And quite tasty too! In fact, I'm eating some of the leftovers right now ;)