I made it last Saturday...thawed my milk out on Friday night, heated it to 86 degrees, added the culture, and let it sit overnight.
Drained and hung it for 6 hours or so.
Made up cheese balls of dill, spinach and herb, and strawberry.
I expected it to be almost like cream cheese, and strawberry cream cheese is so good.
For the record, strawberry chevre is not.
Also for the record, Andrew has never been a milk drinker of any sort. (For her part, Anna would drink goat milk morning, noon, and night if I let her). Andrew uses the goat milk on his cereal/oatmeal, but that's about it. But he feels the same about cow, rice, and almond milk. All that to say I wasn't surprised by his reaction to the goat cheese. Go ahead, click on the picture to enlarge it, and laugh along with us.
The verdict? Anna likes it. Jacob likes it. Mark says it's okay. Andrew and Wendy...ummm, no. I was dreadfully disappointed to find that it tasted similar to store bought goat cheese. Go figure.
However, my friend Melanie used to buy goat cheese from a lady who used to have a small home goat dairy here in town. So of course, she was my first choice of guinea pig. Her verdict? She likes it! Not the strawberry. But the other flavors, she likes!
So, I won't give up yet. I've been freezing milk right away, rather than freezing milk that's been in the fridge for a day or so. Cottage cheese is next...if nothing else, Anna will be one happy camper!

4 comments:
Keep experimenting with time and you may find a cheese you like. For a milder cheese let it set shorter and hang longer. I like it with garlic and basil. I never though about strawberries, but I got a good laugh at the idea.
Ok, I had to laugh at Andrew's face! Too funny even though he's clearly in some serious dislike!
Don't know if you remember the Krantz's up on Rt 15. Mr. Krantz is a primary school teacher, and they have a whole bunch of kids. Anyway, we get goat milk and chevre from them, and while it's not something I would eat the way I would a slice of store bought cheddar, it's really good as a topping, especially to meats that have a gamey flavor like venison.
I hope you keep trying different kinds. Goat cheddar is very good and definitely more palatable as a 'slice and eat' type of goat cheese!
Just think, in 3 months you'll have this nailed and you and the kids can open up a home business selling goat milk and cheese to your community! Fun!
wow, i'm impressed! that is really cool that you made that.
ok, andrew's reaction is sooo funny :) that would be sky, too!
i am such a cheese lover, but i have to admit that goat cheese is not my favorite...are you gonna do goat yogurt, too?
Crystal...thanks for the tip! I might try it again to see if we get milder results!
Jen...I vaguely remember Mr. Krantz! Wish we could do all out selling-alas, there are laws against raw milk and its products. Reason #127 why I love big government (insert sarcastic laugh here). Cool that you can get goat milk!
Amy, I would like to try yogurt eventually!
Post a Comment