Thursday, February 21, 2013

Goldfish


 For our unit on fish for science this year, we bought some goldfish.  I foolishly proposed that "Oh, they're only twenty-nine cents each!  Let's get one for everyone!" 
Why do I do these things to myself?
The kids were delighted with the fish.  We were able to conduct our experiments on changes in a fish's respiration rate according to the water temperature.* 

Fortunately for me and unfortunately for the kids, this was shortly before Mark and I were to head out on our vacation...so of course we had to find a new home for the fish. The end.

*In case you're wondering:  Cold water holds more oxygen than warm water.  Therefore, a fish must take more breaths in warm water to get the same amount of oxygen it gets from fewer breaths in cool water.  Their rate of breathing is evidenced by watching the operculum movements (the flap over the gills).  You're welcome.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: