I generally shy away from discussing politics, and certainly don't post about them on my blog. And I've probably waited too long to comment at this point, but will post anyway.
I have never before been so concerned about the potential results of an election. The conditions and issues our country is facing are complex, and I know there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution. But the positions and policies that Barack Obama holds and will seek to implement are on a collision course with biblical principles and beliefs. And the next president will likely have 2, maybe more, opportunities to nominate new justices to the Supreme Court. The Court will be handing down rulings that will impact our country for generations to come.
What does Obama value? Certainly not life. He voted four times against legislation that would have saved the lives of babies that managed to survive the abortion process. When asked during the "Saddleback Forum" by Pastor Rick Warren "At what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?" he replied "Answering that question with specificity, you know, is, uh, above my grade." He has promised that "the first thing I'd do as president" would be to sign the Freedom of Choice Act. The FOCA is so broadly written that it will overturn nearly every local, state, and federal anti-abortion law passed in the last 40 years, and may prevent institutions and physicians from refusing to provide abortion services.
Obama said earlier this year, in discussing sex education and abortion "I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." Hmm...so it's values and morals we have to murder a baby?
I KNOW there are many Christians out there who, beyond my comprehension, vote for pro-abortion candidates because "there are so many other important issues that affect the children already alive." Regardless of our opinion on social issues, Christians should certainly be representing the heart of God in their vote. Yes, I'm sure that poverty and AIDS and inequality sadden God. Yet the proposed solutions for our social ills are both numerous and unproven...regardless of which political party offers them. But certainly God detests murder.
There are lots of other issues that should give Christians pause in voting for Obama. Want your kindergartener taught comprehensive sex education? Obama can do that for you. Want hate-crimes legislation passed that could lead to pastors across the country being arrested for preaching and teaching the Word of God on homosexuality? Obama can do that for you. You want an inexperienced President who spent only 143 working days in the Senate prior to announcing his run for President and who authored no significant legislation during that time? Obama can be that for you.
*Much of this has been paraphrased from the Focus on the Family Action Newsletter we rec'd in the mail this month. They have all of their sources annotated if you're interested...
Who knows...maybe God is intending his judgment on our country by allowing the most ungodly president yet to be elected. We can't know the mind of God, but we can certainly seek His face and His favor. Below I've pasted in a prayer guide sent by the Alaska Family Research Council. I hope you find it helpful in fasting and praying for our country, esp. over the next 24 hrs.
HOW WE CAN AND SHOULD PRAY NOW
" If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land." 2 Chron. 7:14
Prayer, human communication with the living God, is often used as a last resort when in fact, it should be the foremost strategy we employ to guide our ways. As we approach the voting booths tomorrow, let's each take the time beforehand to also approach the throne with confidence and wisdom.
For those running for office at the national, state and local levels.
• Pray that men and women of righteousness will be elected to every office. Prov. 14:34, Prov. 29:2, 2 Sam. 23:3-4
• Pray for wise counsel and discernment for our leaders. Phil 1:9-11
• Pray for our leaders to be guided by God. Prov 21:1
For those voting.
• Pray for citizens to vote, resisting complacency and passivity. Amos 6:1
• Pray for discernment and wisdom for voters. Isaiah 11:2-3
For those involved in the election process.
• Pray that election officials will be strengthened to complete their work accurately. Psalm 68:35
• Pray that every official will serve with integrity. Prov. 11:1
For those praying.
• Pray that God would raise up men, women and children across this nation to intercede. Ezek. 22:30
For the Church.
• Pray that God would continue to awaken the Church to be engaged and empowered during this critical time. Isaiah 9:7
For our nation.
• Pray that God's plans and purpose for our nation would be established during this election season. Psalms 33:11 and Isaiah 46:10
• Pray that God's will would be done in our nation. Matthew 6:10
Be encouraged and take heart. God is in control, and He hears our prayers. " Blessed be God, because He has not rejected my prayer or removed His steadfast love from me !" Psalm 66:20
1 comment:
I'm with you Wendy. I am positively terrified of Obama being elected. I have never said that about a presidential candidate yet, but he and Pelosi together will indeed change this world (not just country, but world) as they promise, but not for the better. I just can not and do not understand their agenda for the life of me. I don't understand how anyone can be so naive.
All right, I'll quit pontificating on my political views. This is your post, not mine. :-)
My response this morning was the same as yours though- prayer warriors pray!
Post a Comment